Saturday, December 12, 2009

Indian Etiquette

My Dad has a few standard questions that he'll ask all of my friends--everytime he sees them or talks to them. It doesn't matter what the circumstances are (they're on the phone, they're at the door waiting for me, they're sitting chatting). They're also the same questions (how are you, how are your parents, how is school/job) and they all end with tell your Mum and Dad I say hello. I have no idea why but almost every Indian parent I know asks/says the same thing. The following is what happened a few nights ago when one of my friends called.

Phone rings (I don't hear it because i'm outside taking out the trash). Dad has just gone to bed but is awake enough to hear and answer the phone.

Dad: Hullo *(sounds like he has been sleeping)*

T: " Hello Uncle! How are you?" *(my friend calls him Uncle)*

Dad: "Hello, not too bad, ki haal hai"? *translation: How are you*

T: "Not too bad uncle, Is Mikki home?"

Uncle: "I dont know if she is home, maybe or maybe not, I am sleeping so I dont know."

T: "Oh sorry uncle, sorry to wake you up! Its okay I'll try her cell again."
*she's about to hang up because he just said he was sleeping*

Uncle: "So how are your parents, mom and dad?"

T: *"Oh uncle, they are good" *Thinking...uhh...uncle arent you sleeping?*Uncle: "good, good. How's the job going?"

T: "Um Uncle, weren't you sleeping? Don't worry, I'll talk to you later. Sorry for bothering you"

Dad: *Speaking quickly* Ok, tell your mom Dad hi. Bye

T: Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment